I spent all week convincing a friend that the Cowboys were the right bet for tonight’s game against the Redskins, for no reason other than the fact that sports rarely provides the happy endings that we want.
Excuse the pessimism, but especially in a year where the negative side of things reared its ugly head in sports, I was expecting the final week of football of 2012 to deliver much of the same. It feels alright being wrong too.
In Indianapolis, the #Chuckstrong story of coach Pagano and the upstart Colts got one more chapter to their brilliant season, upending the previously top seeded Texans at home, and gave us the victory dance of the year. No matter if this team is confronted with a new reality when the playoffs start next week, the entire turnaround coupled with Pagano’s return has more than made up for the forgettable season in 2011. Oh, and by the way, Andrew Luck is your quarterback for the next decade and some. Not too bad at all.
In Minnesota, the Vikings and Packers went 12 rounds, before Adrian Peterson decided to finish things off at the end. He came just shy of breaking the all-time rushing yards record, but after the performance that he just put on, are we suppose to doubt that he will challenge for it again next season? We need more nicknames for All Day. I suggest New God Flow, because he’s the God of everything else.
And tonight, in Washington, the Skins capped off Robert Griffin III’s rookie season with a win over the Cowboys for the divisional title, and a home playoff game next week. A season that started with a road win in New Orleans, stalled with a 3-6 record, ultimately ended with a seven game winning streak, and hope that things are changing for the franchise. For now. For later.
So if you’re in Detroit, Cleveland, Jacksonville, New York (both, but more so the Jets), Buffalo, or any other city where there doesn’t seem be much hope on the other end. Just remember today. No one could’ve foretold the stories above when the season started.
Sometimes sports is really the most fun when we get reminded of how little we know, then when it reaffirms what we think we know.
Next time, I might be a little less skeptical, and just let the stories play out to their happy endings.
- crazyg18 likes this
- schellmoedoe reblogged this from nfloffseason
- loganlittrell likes this
- alex-cabello likes this
- micktee likes this
- brettecke57 likes this
- arturopichardo likes this
- famemh reblogged this from nfloffseason
- csmooth21 likes this
- cesarguzman84 likes this
- oh-please-god-help-me reblogged this from nfloffseason
- oh-please-god-help-me likes this
- blazingdrew likes this
- wwsportsjk reblogged this from nfloffseason
- jeffyd36 likes this
- johnzanussi likes this
- themorriscode likes this
- knuckleheaded1 likes this
- keezytaughther reblogged this from nfloffseason
- keezytaughther likes this
- townienews likes this
- thisisthelastcallforalcohol reblogged this from nfloffseason
- stressnaps likes this
- shenanigannns reblogged this from nfloffseason
- awhhshuhhh likes this
- wewritedrunkandeditsober reblogged this from nfloffseason
- stefonlyons likes this
- milkisdelicious reblogged this from nfloffseason
- armani3crazee reblogged this from nfloffseason
- armani3crazee likes this
- stoney-dalton likes this
- stoney-dalton reblogged this from nfloffseason
- yo-slimdickens reblogged this from nfloffseason
- shibashiba reblogged this from nfloffseason
- i-w-r-i-t-e likes this
- awesomemargie likes this
- yo-slimdickens likes this
- asmallcat7 reblogged this from chain-of-memories-in-our-hearts and added:
- immalittlelamb likes this
- life-swaggy likes this
- kiingkai reblogged this from nfloffseason
- imaginecalliefornia likes this
- dr-professor-patrick likes this
- ouraustralia likes this
- reblogueocomonena reblogged this from nfloffseason
- fastcarsslowkisses likes this
- fastcarsslowkisses reblogged this from nfloffseason
- cathartictumbleweed likes this
- motivated-by-dreams likes this
- bambie-eze reblogged this from nfloffseason and added: