Strange Week, and now, Football
Strange week, if we’re putting it mildly.
Fake girlfriends created through real lies, a celebrated cyclist comes clean (kind of) making “Did you watch Oprah last night” an acceptable water cooler conversation for sports fans in offices across the world. And, well, that’s about it really.
So it’s kind of nice to get back to the regular schedule programming of football, and no big deal, just two games for a chance at the Super Bowl.
In Atlanta, the proverbial monkey is off Matt Ryan and Mike Smith’s back, no thanks to the strangest (there’s that word again) last two minutes of a playoff football game I can remember. There’s now playoff wins on the resumes of the quarterback and coach, and yet, who exactly is picking the Falcons at home this week?
Hard to imagine the court of public opinion not backing the San Francisco 49ers after Colin Kaepernick turned the Green Bay Packers defense into a Rookie settings Madden blowout. The 49ers have been here before, before as in last year. Prior to Kyle Williams’ personal nightmare, you’d have to go all the way back to 2002, and reference names like Jeff Garcia, Terrell Owens and Garrison Hearst to remember their last playoff appearance.
Back to back NFC Conference Championship appearances signifies progress, a return to better years for the storied franchise, but in a league where dominance is more or less a year to year thing, this game feels important for the 49ers too. It’s easy to look at the core on defense, the promise of Kaepernick and say that there’s still years of contending to come. It’s harder to actually realize that future potential. Instead, this is as good an opportunity at winning it all as any. When is that not true?
Over in New England, no big deal, just a sixth Super Bowl appearance for Tom Brady if the Patriots win, and a few more weeks of the Ray Lewis farewell tour if the Ravens can get revenge on what is a rematch of last year’s AFC Championship game. No Lee Evans or Billy Cundiff this time around — although ESPN gave them a great profile this week — just a chance for guys like Joe Flacco and Torrey Smith to elevate themselves into a different stratosphere. It’s what playing in the Super Bowl does to players.
And so, with no idea whether I’m picking with my head or heart, or caught in so many web of lies this week that the truth seems harder to see, I’m going to go with the 49ers because I know that Eugene Robinson is thinking the same, just so no one brings this up again.
And in New England. I think the Ravens find a way to get it done.
See you at the Harbaugh Bowl.
What does everybody else think?
- sambolopez98 likes this
- michelle15kelsey reblogged this from nfloffseason and added:
- bad-dont-seem-so-wrong reblogged this from nfloffseason
- ashley-be-thuggin23 likes this
- mpangie35 likes this
- jamesbloom44 likes this
- ginakent23 likes this
- brettmarry33 likes this
- ryandiggs20 likes this
- zjprimo likes this
- jaymorris45 likes this
- xdavidson reblogged this from nfloffseason
- kickndopeshxtsince96 likes this
- tracethewind likes this
- zachhoupe likes this
- jenbunny13 likes this
- coashh likes this
- yamageechi likes this
- kehrowlinealldatime likes this
- julz2813 likes this
- thomasthegreat reblogged this from nfloffseason
- old-tonny reblogged this from myname-is-potato
- abditivearyn likes this
- basketballdudeforlyfe reblogged this from nfloffseason
- dellzzzzz reblogged this from nfloffseason
- sarahhmountjoyy reblogged this from ragincaucasian4life
- missdjkayla likes this
- fakechrismoove likes this
- ragincaucasian4life reblogged this from nfloffseason
- lol-lucas reblogged this from nfloffseason
- benfoster34 likes this
- alltheshitthatwillstick answered: I think it’s funny that you show the QBs, except for Flacco.
- tjreps reblogged this from nfloffseason
- tobbyjkhoukone reblogged this from nfloffseason
- bonerjammz reblogged this from nfloffseason and added:
- reynarey19 likes this
- legendtobe reblogged this from nfloffseason
- alanajj35 likes this
- chrisbobo77 reblogged this from nfloffseason
- adidasiscool reblogged this from nfloffseason
- cobra42 reblogged this from nfloffseason
- alexnagy7 likes this
- vann-dennis27 likes this
- mefragments said: Harbaugh Bowl it is.
- feeeefee likes this
- lastkingrobert reblogged this from nfloffseason
- newton808 reblogged this from nfloffseason
- roamingbadger said: I think HELLZ. YES.
- roamingbadger likes this